[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
The Anyone But Me Fan Forum • View topic - 10 reasons to watch Anyone But Me

The Anyone But Me Fan Forum

The place to be to discuss any and all things Anyone But Me
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:27 pm 

10 reasons to watch Anyone But Me
by: beaniidean in That Is So Gay on Jun 21, 2010

in Anyone But Me

I am a TV whore. I’ll watch anything. The true test is if I’ll watch it twice. There are actually a lot of great shows out there. More than I have time to watch, which makes me a little sad, but mostly sleep deprived.

I’m a busy lady. You can tell by the fact it’s taken me almost three weeks to write this second column. Well, I did have one written, but *cough* my dog ate it *cough*.

For me to revisit a series, usually means it has struck a chord. It’s got a great premise. The writing is really good. There’s a super hot actress.

Lately, I’ve found myself going back to a little webseries called Anyone But Me.

Set in New York City in a post 9/11 world, the show follows 16-year-old Vivian (Rachael Hip-Flores) as she tries to navigate her way from her old life in the city to her new life out in the suburbs. In particular, what this means for her now long-distance relationship with girlfriend, Aster (Nicole Pacent).

The first time I watched Anyone But Me was early in its second season. I watched something like 12 episodes back-to-back. I probably started episode one at 2am, right before bed, thinking I’d just get a taste for it. Yeah, right. Two hours later…
At the time I thought, ‘gee, I wish this had been around 15 years ago.’

The final episode of season two has only recently aired. If you haven’t tuned in already, now is a good time to start at the beginning. Here are ten reasons why I think you should watch.

1) Hip-Flores and Pacent.
Hawt, hawt, hawt! And I’m not talking about how gorgeous they both are, although that is most definitely the case. These two are incredibly talented actresses. The chemistry between them onscreen is palpable. For their characters, it’s not all smooth sailing so you get to see those big angst-y, ‘my life is over as we know it’ emotions that make teen drama so compelling.

2) A good old fashioned love triangle.
If I’m watching a drama, I expect just that. Nothing acts as a catalyst for drama more than a good old fashioned love triangle. I’m not yet convinced Vivian will give up Aster for childhood-crush Sophie (Jessy Hodges - pictured above). I just can’t see how the grass is greener, but maybe that has something to do with how much more developed the characters of Vivian and Aster are compared to the rest. I do like Hodges though. She’s a natural and very easy to watch. I’m willing to ride this one out, especially if it causes sparks between the leading ladies.

3) The writing is really good.
Susan Miller (The L Word, Thirtysomething) teams up with Tina Cesa Ward (In Their Absence, Red Molly) to create this modern teenage world. When it comes to Vivian and Aster and how their characters interact with the people around them, the scripts are tight and the dialogue fresh. I’m looking forward to some of the other characters being fleshed out a little more, so I can buy into them as well.

4) It’s online and it’s free.
I can watch this anytime I want from anywhere in the world, including at work…on my lunch break. Naturally. Need I say more?

5) The writers have complete control of the story.
No network interference is a big bonus. There’s nothing worse than feeling like a show is full of token characters. Not so in this show. These characters are as true to modern teenage relationships as they can be.

6) Guest appearances by Liza Weil.
I loved to hate Liza’s character, Paris Gellar, in The Gilmore Girls. Sometimes I couldn’t stand her on the screen, but missed her when she wasn’t. This is testimony to how talented Weil is as an actress. She might only play a small part in season two of Anyone But Me, as psychiatrist Dr. Glass, but she has amazing presence. I would love to see her stick around permanently. These kids are going to need plenty of guidance, after all.

7) It’s current.
Probably one of the better representations of 'Gen Y' I’ve seen onscreen. The search for identity has never been stronger than it is in Generation Y. These teens are trying to figure out where they fit, whilst trying their best not to.

8) There is just something about a teen drama.
Every now and then I’ll still watch episodes of Dawson’s Creek or it’s newer incarnation One Tree Hill. I don’t even know if they are particularly good, I’m just blinded by the angst and the fact that I can’t look away. I wish I had had the opportunity to channel my teenage angst into such measured dialogue. I’m yelling at the screen, ‘yeah, what she said!’ and ‘oh my God, don’t you dare…oh look, he just did.’ Even if you see it coming, you still can’t believe it when it does. That’s teen drama. That’s why I love it.

9) Every episode leaves you wanting more.
It’s quite a feat to have a cliffhanger at the end of each 6-10 minute episode. But I do get to the end of one and find myself disappointed it has finished.

10) It’s the right amount of gay.
Anyone But Me is not even about being gay, but some of the characters are and that’s still important for visibility. And when those two gay characters are played by Hip-Flores and Pacent, I don’t mind in the slightest being able to peek through the curtains of their proverbial living room window.

Oh, and did I mention Vivians father’s name is Gabe? Which is Latin for ‘gay pride’. Okay, it’s not, but I’m still feeling a little Gabe today. How about you?

You can check out Anyone But Me at http://www.anyonebutmeseries.com or at their YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/AnyoneButMeWebSeries

If you are into Twitter (of course you are), you can follow the peeps behind this show:

http://twitter.com/AnyoneButMe

http://twitter.com/susanmillernyc

http://twitter.com/tcwnyc

http://twitter.com/hipflor

http://twitter.com/nicobx9

----------

Now that I have written this, I want to know - what the blazes is it about teen dramas that suck you in? They sure don't mirror my teenage years. There's no way I was that well dressed! What do you think? What are some of your favourites?

http://www.flagshiptv.com/index.php?opt ... 2&show=110

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:32 pm 

I liked what she wrote, but I think we have more than 10 reasons to watch ABM. What do you think?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:46 pm 

10 reasons...
hummmm..
isn't enough to explain why I watch ABM, but definitely reasons 1 and 6 are the best...hehehe :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:54 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:27 pm 

#1 FTW!

Honourable mention to #3.